Saturday, October 22, 2016

Getting settled into my new home

Hello all,
(Originally e-mailed early September 2016).
 Sorry for the delay in getting news out. It's been hectic (& I need to get a laptop to make this easier -- sorry I can't attach photos w my phone). I'm in an area with no cell coverage so this'll be old news by the time I emerge & hit cyberspace again.

Today marks 1 week as an RV Full-timer. I had a 4h intro to all my van's bells & whistles a week ago & then spent the next 4.5 days plugged in at the dealer's in a shady corner, settling in & running it through its paces while referring to  multiple ( fat) owners manuals 4 solar panel , generator, & 3-way heating/cooling system, among other things).

No small trick to figure out how to fit clothes for all weather/occasions  & toys (backpacking stuff, inflatable kayak & bike & associated gear) into a 21' van. Of course I also need food & other items normally in a house for day to day living.
My battered bike box (stuffed to maximum weight & capacity) barely survived the flight. So much stuff to store and leave a livable space!


Boxes mailed after I maxed out all I could fly with. I'd already mailed my inflatable kayak, by slow boat, before I left Alaska. It arrived nearly 3 weeks later; the day I arrived to pick up my van!
All is stowed. My backpack and kayak are under the bed, accessible from the back. Clothes are stored in cupboards and the extra storage drawers I bought, and my bed is made.
This is the spare bed. Karen Palumbo, my first guest, says it's very comfy.



I still have more settling in to do but was getting antsy to begin retired living & adventuring. On Labor Day morning I pulled the plug & undocked from the 'mother ship' (RV Dealer) & drove 130 miles to a rec area with hiking/camping in NE Iowa (Volga River). My thick AK blood needs to thin out. I sweated buckets hiking 8.5 miles in humid 86-93 degree heat! Hiked an evening & full day there on trails that were primarily 4 horses. Headed directly for the river (handy to change into my swimsuit in my van when I parked).


From Volga I drove 50 miles thru rolling hills of scenic farms until I reached the Mississippi River & headed north along the IA shore to Yellow River Forest.  There's only 1 other set of campers in this gorgeous spot. More hills & trees, fewer corn & bean fields here).  I thought I'd spend full days hiking today & tomorrow  but the skies opened up & poured torrents last night & most of today. SO glad I wasn't tent camping!!!!! I spent a mellow day settling in some more, cleaning, & visiting my neighbors (big campground so we can't see each other's campsite). Supposed to rain heavy tonight too & dry up by tomorrow. Sure hope so! I drove in crossing a low flow river but this morning it was a muddy torrent that I had no desire to drive thru (could've done it late this afternoon). 
I'll hike from here tomorrow & hope when I get back from my day the water is sufficiently low to cross. Might camp in the same park at a different place tomorrow night so water level isn't an issue & I'll have access to new trails from my campsite. Then I will likely head E into WI.


My news is kinda boring this time. Next time maybe I'll have a computer so I can attach some pics. I should have more adventures to share by then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment