Sunday, October 23, 2016

Several states behind


On Mount Marcy (5,344'), highest point in NY, overlooking Lake Placid.
Algonquin Peak, 2nd highest 5114'.
Algonquin peak.
Iroquois Peak.
From Iroquois, looking back toward Algonquin. It's a LOT shorter hike up Algonquin from this side!

Mt. Marcy on a warm day with light winds.


Urgh! Don't ask me why these photos won't load in the order I put them up here. I  put both Marcy  pics up first  but the 2nd one winds up at bottom. I hiked up Marcy and Tabletop Mountain on the same day (Tabletop was heavily treed so no views and not really worth the detour). It was a 17.54 mile day. I hiked up Algo. nquin and on to Iroquois (8th highest 4840') the next day (10.71 miles). The wind was HOWLING on Algonquin. I was eating lunch in the lee of a rock when I was joined by 2 gentlemen; Don & Jim. I had convinced myself I'd head down rather than attempting the other 2 peaks I'd thought about  for that hike, due to the high winds. Don & Jim were working on getting to the top of all 46 peaks in the Adirondacks. I joined them to head on to Iroquois.   The Adirondacks were good to me. Fall colors were happening and plenty of hiking options without having to drive very far.


The next day was rainy. A chance to catch up on domestic chores, like the laundromat and van cleaning, and drive to Vermont in preparation for hiking the highest peak in that state -- Mt. Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment